Quantcast

From Serving in Florida

Adam H.
Connector: From serving in Florida is a typical story of a woman who is trying to support herself with a low paying minimum wage job and a not so friendly staff and boss. Just like so many of us we can relate to the troubles of having a dead end job with a low salary and trying to make it on our own, Barbara Ehrenreich tells her story in such a way so that almost everyone can feel what she is going through. Through her simple yet complex diction she creates a tone that the scholarly can easily understand but also the average person can get a kick out of It to. Her humorous style of writing conjures up a chuckle in almost everyone, and fits the modern day style of comedic  writing.  Anyone even if they haven't  worked a day in their entire lives could relate to her struggles.

From Serving in Florida

Tyler Rhoades
        Barbara Ehrenreich was born on August 26, 1941 in Butte, Montana. She is a Social Activist and Feminist, and she first went to school at Rockefeller University and got her Ph.D in Biology. The first novel she ever wrote was Kipper's Game (1993).  Ehrenreich has written on many subject including class, health care, sex and families. She is also a Best selling author and has wrote many books including The American Health Empire: Power, Profits, and Politics (1970), For Her Own Good: One Hundred Fifty Years of the Experts' Advice to Women (1978), and The Hearts of Men: American Dreams and the Flight from Commitment (1983). For Nickel and Dime (2001) she went undercover and tried to live off of the wages she received when working as a server, maid and sales clerk. The excerpt is from Her book Nickel and Dime(2001)

Ehrenreich, Barbara. "Serving in Florida." The Language of Composition. 179-86.

"Barbara Ehrenreich." 16 Apr. 2009 <http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0761444.html>.

Re: From Serving in Florida

brettramsay
Administrator
Ehrenreich went from being a worker able to take breaks to a worker not able to take breaks. She started out with a partner and comes back a second daty. Everyone is surprised to see her again. Most people quit and don't come back the day after. She may not like her job, but she realizes that she needs to stay.

Re: From Serving in Florida

Skyler H.
I think the description Ehrenreich uses for "Jerry's" is a great way to start the selection. It shows how much garbage people go through and contrasts the oblivious lives of the many teenagers that whine and moan when they don't get their iced mocha. It highlights what people take for granted, and shows that some people, Gail in the selection being one of them, don't have a warm bed to go home to, and instead, sleep in their cars.

Re: From Serving in Florida

HeatherK
With my minimum wage paying part time job, it seems impossible to imagine how she supported herself. I find it hard to use the money that i do earn for my own small fee's and entertainment. It would be so stressful and tough to fully support yourself on a low-paying job. With bills like water, heat, home, and then necessities like food, and personal care, your would have to fully budget your income and try to save in everyway possible. By getting her low-paying job, she would be able to almost fully understand what so many Americans have to experience. But unlike majority Americans, she only had to support herself, not a family with kids.

Re: From Serving in Florida

Cedyced
Discussion Leader: what i like Most about tis passage was the authors wonderfully crafted use of metaphors and similies and such. most notably when she describes the kitchen in terms of bodily organs and functions. in which she goes into great details to support the metaphor. for example when she leads into it, stating that "the kitchen is a cavern, a stomach leading to the lower intestine that is the garbage and dishwashing area, from which isssue bizzare smells combining the edible and the offal: creamy carrion, pizza barf, and that unique and enigmatic jerry's scent, citrus fart".

What is the effect of using the word "fat" instead of a more kind word describing a big person in the opening statement? is it necassary?

What Rhetorical Stratigies does the author use?

The author uses an abundance of similies and metaphors, and compare and contrast ideas. can you give 2 examples of such usage?

Re: From Serving in Florida

brettramsay
Administrator
via Cecilia Do

In reading this it really makes me thinking about what I know, about what anyones knows, there are so many of us that think we know what suffering is, what hardship is, what it's like to be stressed out, but do we really? There have been times when I've been stressed out, so stressed out that I'm borderlining on the brink of breakdown, but then I take a step back and see what was stressing me out was virtually meaningless in comparison with others in the country and even more so if the comparison is on a Global status. Another thought brought to mind when reading this is the government. In America, we pride ourselves on our ability to give "opportunity". Perhaps a gaudy mask to the rest of the world to cover up the hideous lies and ugly turth our country is really all about. The myth is you can come to America poor and with pennies in your pocket, but as long as you work hard you will slowly make it up in life and become prosperous. What a filthy joke. We live in a society when a lack if education and a good job mill put you in a cycle of endless oppression. Work all day in a job you hate, sleep all night only to wake up next morning to do it again until you die. Endless. When will you have time to live if all your time is dedicated to worrying about money?